Rank the first 10 Final Fantasy games

Level up here
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Re: Rank the first 10 Final Fantasy games

Post by brunoafh »

A lot of XII fans here. It isn't that bad or anything but....

AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I'd say 12 is one of the most divisive games in the series. I've met just as many folks claiming it's one of the best as I have folks claiming it's one of the worst.

Funny how everyone agrees that Vaan was pointless. He wasn't even originally going to be in the game (it was going to center around Basch), his entire existence is seriously because Square's marketing team were worried that teenage girls wouldn't buy a FF game that didn't have a prettyboy lead character.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. I (my second RPG, so I still have nostalgia for it)
2. VI
3. II
4. V
5. IV
6. III
7. VII
8. IX
9. VIII
10. X (worst in the series)
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

brunoafh wrote:A lot of XII fans here. It isn't that bad or anything but....

"Nipples? What are those?"

Also, I'm more surprised about the FFX hate then the XII love.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

FFX had a fun, fast paced, and highly enjoyable battle system and the overall game was paced well. The game never felt like it dragged on too long.. Sure it had a bland story, was overly linear for a jrpg (yeah yeah most jrpgs are actually linear but this game was shameless about it), and probably the worst cast in the entire series (not to mention the voice acting!) but I don't think it's bad qualities are bad enough to outweigh its positive qualities, personally.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

AppleQueso wrote:FFX had a fun, fast paced, and highly enjoyable battle system and the overall game was paced well. The game never felt like it dragged on too long.. Sure it had a bland story, was overly linear for a jrpg (yeah yeah most jrpgs are actually linear but this game was shameless about it), and probably the worst cast in the entire series (not to mention the voice acting!) but I don't think it's bad qualities are bad enough to outweigh its positive qualities, personally.

You've pretty much summed up my exact feelings about this game, except the one part where I felt the game dragged. Those freaking temples. They weren't difficult or anything, but felt so tedious and boring when compared to the constant fast paced switch-in-switch-out character battles which to me made the gameplay fun. Unless you're just talking about the story pacing, in which case I would have to agree it was well enough paced.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Yeah I was referring mainly to the story, I actually forgot about those temples. They didn't bug me much because I happen to love puzzles like that.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

AppleQueso wrote:Yeah I was referring mainly to the story, I actually forgot about those temples. They didn't bug me much because I happen to love puzzles like that.

It's funny because I used to really like puzzles like them when I was younger. At first I was going to say I must have become impatient since then, but then I realized we're discussing time-consuming RPGs, which I still play and enjoy. I guess I can't really put a finger on why I didn't care for those particular puzzles. I should brush off my copy of FFX and find out. I just hope I can skip the cut scenes and avoid listening to Tidus and Yuna laugh. :|
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

AppleQueso wrote:FFX had a fun, fast paced, and highly enjoyable battle system and the overall game was paced well. The game never felt like it dragged on too long.. Sure it had a bland story, was overly linear for a jrpg (yeah yeah most jrpgs are actually linear but this game was shameless about it), and probably the worst cast in the entire series (not to mention the voice acting!) but I don't think it's bad qualities are bad enough to outweigh its positive qualities, personally.
With all that said, I can't think of a FF game as bad as it... Maybe XIII and VIII compares, but it certainly wasn't one of the better games in the series... Please don't include the MMOs either..
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

Czernobog wrote:1. Final Fantasy VI - IMO the best story, characters, and gameplay in any FF game.

2. Final Fantasy VII - This would be my pick for the second best story in a FF game and really liked the materia system.

3. Final Fantasy IV - The story was just plain fun. Threw me plenty of curve balls.

4. Final Fantasy IX - A great blending of what loved about the earlier games and the advancements of the VII, VIII, and IX generation.

5. Final Fantasy II - Props for having an original leveling system which IMO
should have been explored more in later games.

6. Final Fantasy V - Job classes and fun characters made this game for me.

7. Final Fantasy III - I loved the job classes in this game. Onion Knight FTW.

8. Final Fantasy I - Not as fun to go back to as most of the later games, but
the remakes such as the PSP anniversary edition keep me coming back.

9. Final Fantasy X - Loved the gameplay, but I really disliked the story and most of the characters.

10. Final Fantasy VIII - The only FF game where I thoroughly disliked the battle system, which made the game a chore to play.

As for XII, I absolutely loved the gameplay and story in this game despite how many people constantly tell me it's terrible. The only thing I disliked was Vaan and Penelo even being in the game. They had next to nothing to do with the story. Also, if it we were including FF games that weren't in the main series, Tactics would have been third on my list for having insanely customizable characters and an awesome story.

I can't really disagree with your list.. I'd put IX slightly higher and the main reason I rank VII first is because of nostalgia more than anything... But I can recognize that VI is probably a more polished game...
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!