SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

Virtua Fighter 2 or Fighters Megamix?

by Gooseberrysoda Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:45 pm

I'm trying to make the Saturn my dedicated local 2-player machine, and would like to pick up a 3D fighter for when I have pals over. I know VF2 is supposed to be graphically impressive, but Megamix has some fun characters. Which would y'all recommend?
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Family, Phillips CD-i Model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, Playstations 3-4
marurun

Re: Virtua Fighter 2 or Fighters Megamix?

by marurun Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:06 pm

If you and your friends are just into goofing around, definitely Fighters Megamix. If you are into actual competition, VF2. VF2 is a much more balanced and serious fighter. Megamix is a blast, but once you try to play seriously a number of characters either just dominate or fall completely apart.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Fighters Megamix is the best 3D fighter on the system so go for that. It's also exclusive so is a bit of a curio. VF2 is far too po-faced for casual play and there are better versions of the game available if you want competitive play.
marurun

by marurun Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:18 pm

Sload Soap wrote:Fighters Megamix is the best 3D fighter on the system so go for that. It's also exclusive so is a bit of a curio. VF2 is far too po-faced for casual play and there are better versions of the game available if you want competitive play.

I’m curious to know what the better versions of VF2 are. Please share.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:38 pm

marurun wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:Fighters Megamix is the best 3D fighter on the system so go for that. It's also exclusive so is a bit of a curio. VF2 is far too po-faced for casual play and there are better versions of the game available if you want competitive play.

I’m curious to know what the better versions of VF2 are. Please share.

This port rules:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... FIGHTER200

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/virtu ... verviewtab
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:44 pm

I'm a going to assume the digital versions that were released on XBLA, and PSN from last gen. There is also a PS2 Japan only release of VF2, and tho it does visually recreate the Model 2 experience better than the Saturn port, its littered with a few framerate issues which IMO ruin the experience. VF2 on Saturn is nothing sort of a technical miracle and it run's nearly flawlessly outside of some minor graphical setbacks.
In regards to the OP''s question, I also recommend Megamix, as it's more casual friendly and has a fairly massive roster compared to VF2.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:44 am

Yeah, the more recent XBLA/PS3 port is arcade perfect. You can also get arcade perfect versions of Fighting Vipers and Sonic the Fighters to complement VF2 and pretty cheaply too.
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

by Gooseberrysoda Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:10 am

Megamix it is! We're not so into the competitive scene unless it comes to smash. Goofing around is good enough for us. Thanks all!
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Family, Phillips CD-i Model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, Playstations 3-4
marurun

by marurun Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:11 am

For goofing it is hard to beat Megamix. But a lot of the characters have to be unlocked, so keep your save battery healthy.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Mon May 04, 2020 3:42 am

marurun wrote:For goofing it is hard to beat Megamix. But a lot of the characters have to be unlocked, so keep your save battery healthy.

So true. I lost my save file from my youth, with everything 100% unlocked :(

Have fun Gooseberrysoda! It's one of my favourite fighters from that era.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Return to Sega