Anybody have a GDEMU clone? How do you like it?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Anybody have a GDEMU clone? How do you like it?

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Anybody have GDEMU clone? Where did you purchase it? I was thinking of buying this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G11VW1Z/re ... tDbQYBKTGG

If you got a clone, how do you like? Is installation pretty simple? Are GD Rips hard to find?

I'd like to get this mod. I wonder if I would see any difference with a full GD Rip vs compressed CD rips?
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Anybody have a GDEMU clone? How do you like it?

Post by Jagosaurus »

I had the same question 8)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52420

Hope that reddit thread I linked helps.

I think we discussed it somehow in another thread. General consensus was that it'd be nice to support original creator, but backlog/wait list/lead times on ODEs was going to naturally create a secondary product market.

Not sure on compressed rips. I imagine if original drive can access to data, you're solid. Disc rips are the wild west. Anytime I DL one, I give it a 50/50 chance.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Google search results suggest that you shouldn't try to update the firmware on them because they'll brick.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Jagosaurus wrote:I think we discussed it somehow in another thread. General consensus was that it'd be nice to support original creator, but backlog/wait list/lead times on ODEs was going to naturally create a secondary product market.

I mean, he's cracking hardware so people can play backed up games. He's always backed ordered, and from what some redditors had said, he's not the nicest guy in the world.

I think anybody who does this should be doing it as a hobby and not become a millionaire out of it. That's how Krikzz is. I remember reading his release notes and he's had a couple of updates in there to actually have better support for clones.

It's just the way it is.

Ziggy587 wrote:Google search results suggest that you shouldn't try to update the firmware on them because they'll brick.

Yea, that's the only flaw I am seeing. They have a 5.15b now which has a metal shell for the SD slot. But also, it looks like this clone version has the same chip as the original. Some people on Reddit were going to try to upgrade the firmware and see what happens, however, the creator has not had any updates yet. But, I think the firmware is pretty dang close to 100% compatibility, so it's not really worth upgrading the firmware. And these remaining issues are small (like Skies of Arcadia freezing if you want to watch the full intro, but you can just skip it and play the game).

Anyways, I'm probably going to pick one up along with another Dreamcast and make this my primary DC and put my childhood one in storage.

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC

My Trade Thread
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah, I'm much more open about DLs, hacks, mods, etc than most. As long as ppl aren't trying to pawn off counterfeits as repros that will eventually renter the market. Call a spade a spade. IIRC these are clearly identifiable vs original. Was relaying only responses I got elsewhere. I digress...

I'd heard some not so great stories about the DC USB GDROM guy who also makes 3DO USB ODE. Some users here had good experiences though. Danged either way perhaps. His link:
http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Yea, I heard the same about the DC GDROM-USB guy as well.

Like, look at his comparsion chart to the DC GDEMU:

http://3do-renovation.ru/comparation.htm

I think they are both great products, but that comparison is a little harsh.

"Design: Bad"; "Still no Menu from developer. Ugly piece of hardware."

My Trade Thread