Time Stalkers DC

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SpaceBooger

Time Stalkers DC

Post by SpaceBooger »

For some reason, I decided to play a Dreamcast RPG (my DC is on the only TV my five kids don't use when they are playing/watching screens). I read nothing but negative reviews about the game. I am enjoying the game.

Most of the negative reviews are about the graphics and how close they are or are not from PS1 and N64 games. With this game being almost 20 years old, the graphics and whether the characters have recorded speech or not is an issue in 2019. As a retro game, I am not hoping for the "next great RPG".

The number one complaint from the reviews I have read is the resetting of XP and releveling after every dungeon. This is not bothering me for a couple of reasons:
1) I am playing this game knowing what to expect with the leveling.
2) I am playing this game and not comparing it to Final Fantasy 7 or Skies of Arcadia.
3) With the limited playtime, I have the reset and random dungeons mean that I will never be too far gone to forget what to do or how to play efficiently if I take long breaks between play sessions.

Anyone else play this game? What is your opinion on it? How long ago did you play the game and form your opinion?
Lastly, for those who have played it - and advise or suggestions?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy

Re: Time Stalkers DC

Post by Ziggy »

I love this game!

I bought a copy of this game sometime between 2000 and 2002 if I recall correctly. I was in a Funco Land and spotted it for $5 used. The back cover looked interesting enough to gamble the $5 on it. I seem to remember reading mostly negative reviews online after I got the game home, mostly to do with the resetting after every dungeon. But I remember enjoying it. Of course, I didn't get very far into the game and it was 15+ years ago now that I've played it, but I do remember liking it. I've always wanted to go back and revisit this game, that copy and has never left my collection!
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I have Time Stalkers as well. It's not nearly as bad as it's reputation. I think I enjoyed what I played, but maybe thought it was a bit bland, at worst. Still, you get to capture monsters and use them as your teammates, which I like.

Rogue RPG's aren't everyone's cup of tea, but the level reset thing is often standard fare for this type of game. If I remember right, your main character keeps his level at certain points in the game (could be wrong on that, as it's been forever since I've played).

I should put that om my gd-emu sometime...
...just another lost soul...
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Still digging this game. It's perfect for playing a floor or two at a time to quickly destress. I find the simplicity, leveling, item limits, etc perfect for a game to pick up and play. This is now my go to early morning game while my kids are watching or playing other stuff as well as my "too late at night to get into a deep and complex game" game.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.