Sega Genesis - Composite video or not?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Re: Sega Genesis - Composite video or not?

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Some people swear by it. Back in the day my Cousin used RF only on a TV that had barely working speakers.

Now me personally, I sprung for a JP21 RGB cable and have the problem of the picture looking TOO good.
I'm still trying to work out a good 720p Framemiester Profile so I can play with Scanlines.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Reprise wrote:Interesting. I've been using RGB for years and always wondered why these certain effects looked terrible. I never considered that developers had assumed gamers would be using RF or Composite and used those limitations to their advantage to create the transparency effects.

It gets more wild for PC graphics back in the day. CGA graphics over composite would generate false colors due to the fuzziness of the composite decoder, which could be taken advantage of to get around it being a 4 color standard.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Dikdikvandik wrote:I'm still trying to work out a good 720p Framemiester Profile so I can play with Scanlines.

Have you tried Firebrandx's 720p profiles?

http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html