SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Building Sega Master System Hidden Gems list

by Gunstar Green Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 pm

I think Golvellius is a little less known at least in North America. Zillion definitely is one of the "defined" games. It's always one of the first titles discussed whenever someone brings up the Master System.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

by SpikeSlania Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:58 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:Racketboy said what I wanted to say to alienjesus, SMS is already kind of obscure (in the US and some other places anyway) and not exactly gaining in that regard unless something crazy happens.

Like Sega releasing a Master collection instead of another Genesis/Megadrive Collection?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Golvellius at one point until the forced 64bitting of the iOS app family came around did have a NA presence as it was a nicely done dotemu conversion on that mobile format and it looked and played amazingly well. Still irks me they never updated it.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am

Saw a recommendation for Submarine Attack -- anyone played it?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Long time ago, not the last time I had a SMS though. It's a decent underwater shooter basically instead of being in space.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:53 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:One of the easiest shoot 'em ups I've played, I found it pretty dull after the first loop. It's alright for the time though.

Ok good to know. Thanks!
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:19 pm

We've got a lot of this guide done, but could still use some help for a few more game entries in addition to overall proofing/editing via Google Doc.
Just let me know if you're interested in helping :)
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:17 pm

We are making some really good progress on the Master System Gems article so far.

I have some follow-up questions though -- I don't seem to have any strong recommendations for the following genres -- any suggestions?
* Puzzle (as opposed to Puzzle Platformer)
* Fighting/Beatemups
* Adventure (like Maniac Mansion type as opposed to action/adventure/platformers)
* Strategy
* Pinball
* Games That Don't really fit into typical genres?

Also, we have a lot of "Action" games -- can somebody think of possible sub-genres to categorized the following in?:
* Quartet
* Master of Darkness
* Ninja Gaiden
* Kenseiden
* Jurassic Park
* The Ninja
* Cyborg Hunter
* Spellcaster
* Aladdin
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:19 pm

racketboy wrote:I have some follow-up questions though -- I don't seem to have any strong recommendations for the following genres -- any suggestions?
* Puzzle (as opposed to Puzzle Platformer)
* Fighting/Beatemups
* Adventure (like Maniac Mansion type as opposed to action/adventure/platformers)
* Strategy
* Pinball
* Games That Don't really fit into typical genres?

I'll have a go:

Puzzle: Are you counting Penguin Land as a puzzle platformer? Because that would be my go to thought on SMS. I know that Baku Baku got a port to the console in Brazil, not sure how good it was though. There's the usual selection of Columns, Mean Bean Machine, Klax, and Lemmings - again, I've not played any to be able to especially recommend them

Beat 'em up/fighting: Yeah, this really isn't a strong suit. There's stuff like Kung fu Kid and Black Belt but I dunno if they're really hidden gems.

Adventure: There's Fantastic Dizzy. Not sure how the port is, but the game is generally decent if you can put up with some 80s european computer game jank. King's Quest is on the console too, seems like a decent port.

Strategy - Yeah, no idea on this one

Pinball - Same for this

Other less obvious genres:
If I'm being honest, the SMS was best at action and platformers - I could give a long list of great games for those genres, but once you start looking outside of that it's slim pickings.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:45 pm

The only pinball game on the SMS is Sonic Spinball and Sonic Spinball sucks so probably best to drop that category.

Putt and Putter is a mini-golf game that in essence is really a puzzle title. It's pretty good and while it does come up in discussion on SMS boards, it's not that well known. There is also a port of Krusty's Fun House that seems well liked but that still falls into puzzle platformer territory, so you are left with what AJ said, Klax, Lemmings and Columns none of which are either particularly sterling ports or hidden gems.

I love the system but it just doesn't have the range of titles to fill out these categories, never mind the breadth needed to facilitate having hidden gems so it's probably best not to force it.
Return to Sega