Any of you ever buy Dreamcast Pier Solar?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Any of you ever buy Dreamcast Pier Solar?

Post by Tanooki »

I'm just curious if it's worth grabbing up at all versus the GoG release other than being on a physical packaging setup they pressed.

I made a thread I'm sure enough saw, it's at this time not only back in stock but also for 15% off sale too. $47.60 shipped for the game (Genesis cart is there too but no sale, still less.) I was digging it for a bit on the PC but got side tracked, I remember getting a bit annoyed in some desert canyon wishing I had a guide but they want $50 for the damn thing which is unreasonable.
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Any of you ever buy Dreamcast Pier Solar?

Post by stickem »

I kept trying but it was always sold out. Burned it, but would rather have the real deal.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well go for it, it's there and on sale too.

SO what's so great about it over the GoG release on PC other than being in a DC jewel case, manual and disc?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I've got a copy of it, but I haven't played it yet.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I have a copy. I pre-ordered it years and years ago, so I held off buying any digital copies until the day it finally came out and arrived. I have nothing to compare it to, in that respect, but it is the most legit and impressive Indie release on the Dreamcast, not neccessarily in the gameplay department (although I don't think there are many Indie RPGs on the system), but more in the presentation in both the superficial stuff like the cases, packaging, manual etc., and the game itself's presentation, with the widescreen support, menus and graphics.

It's the HD remaster (except in 480p for obvious reasons), so I assume it's the same game as on GOG or PSN or anything that isn't Genesis.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That's good to know. Tempting considering I have a DC now (nice timing after it being out for ages back up for sale at this time.) I'm not really sold on HD, sure you get more quality of the visuals, and in turn meatier hardware gives more allowance for stuff, but that doesn't always make for a better game. Pier Solar was never designed to be the BE all 1080p high tier RPG type setup, it's a throwback, and the DC if anything should be that happy middle ground of the original more crude Genesis version and the highball HDMI versions.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

As other people mentioned it also has the Genesis graphics and music/sound as options, so that's pretty cool.

I think it's the first Dreamcast game ever to support native widescreen as well (although I use anamorphic widescreen as the native option uses a weird resolution on my TV).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

i thought about it, but opted for the latest print of the genesis ones since it started on that system & thought it'd shine more there, honestly
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well I ended up wrangling a good deal for both Grandia 2 and Skies individually so I never pulled the trigger on it. I do have the GoG release so it's not like I'm without the game. Maybe in the future I'll look into it.

Really would love the guide but not popping that ridiculous $50 price tag on a book. I am shocked no one has made a PDF of it yet after this long.
jdollatari
8-bit

Post by jdollatari »

i have a burned copy and owned it on genesis they did a nice job packaging these