Any good Dreamcast tips?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Any good Dreamcast tips?

Post by Tanooki »

Hey CRT, I have that Madkatz Dreampad. I looked after you brought it up, thought of it last night when I was re-organizing something in that cabinet I put it. Mine is different colored, the grips are see through darker blue. It has that added clear face button to the right and the 2 added buttons as well.

Look I know and can handle the loads on Half Life, I liked it. Propeller Arena and also the Titanium Studios boot loader for the Quake one PAK files I had all on a disc I made myself back around 2000. I'd like to at least half HL and PA back, and Rez my brother had (still has) too. I don't care about the added K-Project, I just want what I enjoyed again, the stock original but I get it does have more.

My brother had Toy Commander in the day, I never really got into it. Wild Metal I did own, loved it, solid futuristic tank title. They even did a PC version of it a couple years after which I used to keep around until 64bit windows flipped it the bird. I'm sure the download is still up there along with GTA1 and 2 if you use the web.archive.org site of Rockstar's old webpage.

I also need to snap up a mouse, got an itchy trigger finger for Silent Scope again since getting the system.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Tanooki wrote:I don't care about the added K-Project, I just want what I enjoyed again, the stock original but I get it does have more.

My brother had Toy Commander in the day, I never really got into it. Wild Metal I did own, loved it, solid futuristic tank title. They even did a PC version of it a couple years after which I used to keep around until 64bit windows flipped it the bird. I'm sure the download is still up there along with GTA1 and 2 if you use the web.archive.org site of Rockstar's old webpage.

I also need to snap up a mouse, got an itchy trigger finger for Silent Scope again since getting the system.

K-Project very good for the debug mode and mouse support. Give Toy Commander another go; lots of game play including driving your car up a wall or flying a plane and helicopter with full collective and cyclic controls. Definitely get the pressed disc for the music tracks usually missing from burned copies.

Instead of the Dreamcast Mouse, look for the Dreamcast Controller to Mouse adapter. You can then use a Sensor Mouse or Trakball. A second PS/2 adapter for Typing of the Dead as well.

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

How is that game pad for fighters? Some of the reviews say the dpad is worse than the og controller for those.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

There like an official name or link to that adapter so you can use a pc mouse/keys on a DC? I've got a nice trackball I'd use that's on my pc that's USB, and I do have a wireless usb mouse around here too somewhere. If it has to be some older PS2 plug I think I have an adapter or I'd just go find a cheap one at a thrift.

I'll look at Toy Commander again, that was like 15 years ago now.

The DC d-pad I do not honestly recall if it was awful to do fighters on or not. I just know I was quite good with Capcom vs SNK and SF3 Third Strike, also at work(Midway) on the burned copies of Guilty Gear X people brought in for lunch play and CvsS2 Pro. I just can't remember if I used the thumb pad or not.

I think what would be nice is to go digging some on DC in general get some back history and stuff people figured out about it since I last really had one to use (12 years~.) I know I missed out on some titles, but it would be good to learn about some more accessories and some of the screwball ways to press your own discs or other useful junk for import level items.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

For Street Fighter and SF-like fighting games, you really want a controller with 6 face buttons. There's a couple of third party Dreamcast controllers that are like Saturn controllers, and good quality, but as far as I know they're all very expensive these days.

I would suggest getting the Total Control 3. I don't know if you already own a Saturn controller or not, but even if you had to buy one it would still be a cheaper option than the above Ascii pad.

There's also the Total Control Plus, which will let you use Playstation controllers on the Dreamcast. I find the PS D-Pad much easier to use for games like Mortal Kombat or Tony Hawk.

And as mentioned, there's also the Total Control 5, which will let you use PS/2 keyboards / mice (yes, you would need an adapter for USB devices) with the Dreamcast. You can pick up a real Dreamcast keyboard or mouse for the same price or less than that adapter costs though, so it's not worth it unless you're trying to save space or use something other than a mouse (I never even thought to use a trackball). Maybe get one adapter for a mouse / trackball, then a real DC keyboard since they seem to be a little cheaper than the adapter.

edit: I recommend getting two keyboards for the DC so you can play 2-player Typing of the Dead. Any time I broke that game out when I had friends over it was an absolute blast!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Don't have a fighting game as of yet to try it, but that Madkatz controller he linked I have already has 6 face buttons with a Z and C button on the front. Not sure if you can map to them or not, but it's there so maybe?
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I rarely use 6 buttons on street fighter anyway lol, but it looks handy to have that option. The dpad would have to be as good or better for it to worth it to me. Sucks I passed on the official arcade stick numerous times when it was 50 bucks back in the day. I'd like to have it now.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

No doubt. Thing is I did have it, those nice big green responsive buttons and bit ball joystick. It worked awesome for any of the arcade conversions or wannabes.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

DC stick is solid. Who has that slutty one that's been around so many of us now? I can't remember who I sold it to, and I'm too lazy/drunk to look it up.

Also the DC d-pad can suck my taint, uncomfortable piece of stiff shit.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Yeah I was going to fire up house of dead 2 with the wife with her using my enforcer gun. It decided to not work, even though I never used it, only when I bent the cable. Might try and splice in a cable from one of my controllers. Fuck it, watching the ball drop, sipping on fireball playing spades instead lol.