DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/ DC.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Arenegeth
24-bit

Re: DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/

Post by Arenegeth »

Ziggy587 wrote:Which exact VGA cable do you have now? You can easily get interference in analog AV with shitty cables.

They look pretty much identical to this.

Including the same two dongles I got with mine, though I'm only using the one for the sound with my own cable I got, god knows from where, and had for god knows how long.

I'm assuming the dithering is because of the cables, and not because of my console or display, but since this is the original Dreamcast I got all the way back in late 1999, that was sitting in storage unplayed pretty much since 2003, I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with the console, after replacing the internal battery it seems to be working flawlessly otherwise, as if 15+ years haven't passed since it last saw any active use.

I generally don't like playing games in 480i on a CRT, unless I'm forced to, like with most of the PS2 library, but how can I force Dreamcast games to display at 240p?
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

These cables are supposed to force it with the switch box. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast ... Sw4Dxah~66
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Those may be a nice affordable replacement for my cheap cables, since I can't afford the expense on an official VGA box right now, plus I want it as a collectable and boxed ones don't show up on eBay that often.

That is considering the dithering is done away with these switch cables.

As for forcing 240p, I'd want that for the CRT which doesn't have a native VGA slot, so I'll have to convert VGA to Scart or S-Video which I assume is possible, but I will need an additional cable/dongle for that.

By the way, I know this isn't VGA related, but I figure I ask here, anybody got a really creaky (like an old rusted door) Dreamcast analog stick?

I disassembled my controller recently since the right d-pad seemed to have problem registering and washed it thoroughly, including pulling apart the analog stick, the spring inside seemed to be fine and when I put it back together it wasn't making much noise, but now it creaks like an old windmill, is very distracting, should I open it up and put some WD-40 in there? Anybody had to deal with anything similar before? There's no performance issues (that I noticed) with the stick also.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

This is either genius or really stupid. I bought one of the Hyperkin HDMI cables since it's straight 480p no upscaling or anything unlike their other cables.
rather than just feed it into an HDMI port, I got an HDMI to component adapter. NOW assuming there's no input lag, I'm working with the theory I can use the Firebrand X Torobox settings but just tweak them a smidge....

we'll see.

Edit nope you tube lied to me the Hyperkin is garbage and the component adapter did not work.
Konacha
32-bit

Post by Konacha »

I've never seen this posted but how does the official VGA adapter compare to the other boxes out there? I can never find a review for the official VGA box. I still have the clear box that I got off ebay back in the mid 2000s. I don't really want anything to do with HDMI with the Dreamcast because I still have VGA connections on my TV (and my TV is only 5 years old)