How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

Post by stickem »

Reprise wrote:Lolwut? Wrong thread? Zak and Wiki is a great game though, by the way.

Any new decent Dreamcast games coming out soon? It feels like there was a lot, but they all seem to have been quietly delayed.

I was thinking some dreamcast games were coming out as well. Anyway, I have the genesis version of this coming, also on the dreamcast. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... sis-mega-d

Yes it's 16 bit graphics on the dreamcast, but aren't they all lol.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

stickem wrote:
Reprise wrote:Lolwut? Wrong thread? Zak and Wiki is a great game though, by the way.

Any new decent Dreamcast games coming out soon? It feels like there was a lot, but they all seem to have been quietly delayed.

I was thinking some dreamcast games were coming out as well. Anyway, I have the genesis version of this coming, also on the dreamcast. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... sis-mega-d

Yes it's 16 bit graphics on the dreamcast, but aren't they all lol.

That game doe snot have "retro look" , it actually looks like from that era. I will guess they are developing on the original hardware/software from then. How do they get new Genesis cartridges, I imagine it would be very difficult to manufacture new ones?
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:I am wondering if there anything maintenance related I should do with my Dreamcast. Its about 19 years old now and is there any belt changes or greases I should reapply? Not sure if that CD drive will still spin no problems

There's not a lot you can do. Age and use are the two enemies of old consoles. You might want to consider replacing the rechargeable lithium coin cell, though, as long as you can solder.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I am wondering if there anything maintenance related I should do with my Dreamcast. Its about 19 years old now and is there any belt changes or greases I should reapply? Not sure if that CD drive will still spin no problems

There's not a lot you can do. Age and use are the two enemies of old consoles. You might want to consider replacing the rechargeable lithium coin cell, though, as long as you can solder.

ignore my ignorance but what is the purpose of lithium coin cell? Is it just to keep the battery working for the date and time?
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:

ignore my ignorance but what is the purpose of lithium coin cell? Is it just to keep the battery working for the date and time?

And to store system settings, much like the battery does for your BIOS settings and system clock on your PC. Unlike your PC BIOS battery, however, Sega did not intend people to open their consoles to replace the battery, so they included a very long-lasting rechargeable coin cell. The down side is that those are more expensive (though not too much so) and that Sega decided to solder it to the board so it's not as easily replaceable.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

So, 5+ years later how do you see the Dreamcast gaming today?

Would you choose to play the games on the DC or choose a newer more convenient and maybe an HD port?
I went to Gog.com and they have a copy of Omikron. Not only is it cheaper, but you don't need the dedicated hardware or having to deal with composite inputs on HD TVs. It is also probably the PC version is the higher resolution with better texture and faster running version of the game.

Or are you still loyal to the Dreamcast route?

btw, did they figure an easy way to connect DC to the internet? I heard there was a Rasberry Pi easy setup.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

RCBH928 wrote:Would you choose to play the games on the DC or choose a newer more convenient and maybe an HD port?

I will always choose the Dreamcast. I use the VGA output, and upscale it with the Framemeister, though. So visual fidelity is mostly a moot point to me. Having a Saturn to DC controller converter also unlocks the ability to use the single greatest control pad ever for games that don't require analog controls. GOG and other console ports will never be a replacement for my Dreamcast gaming experiences. It's a wonderbox that does too much that can't be emulated by software alone.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

There’s a handful of games I play from the Dreamcast days I can play on my PC: Jet Set Radio, and the two Sonic Adventure games. Phantasy Star Online I play through Dolphin. Those four games I put an insane amount of time when I was younger in original hardware and the ability to play them today on the PC is great. I wish more games were ported over to PC at least.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

pierrot wrote: Having a Saturn to DC controller converter also unlocks the ability to use the single greatest control pad ever for games that don't require analog controls. .

out of topic but, is the a reproduction of the Saturn controller like the SNES buffulo to use on PCs or consoles?
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

It’s been a while since I’ve posted but my Dreamcast day are back. Long story short last year at this time I got let go from my job and lost everything and had to sell off everything in order to live.
Once I mailed out my Dreamcast collection, a few hrs go by and my brother in law moves in and gives me a Dreamcast and a bunch of games controllers etc.
He says I can do what I want to it but you don’t wan it off lol. So for a year now I have had the system, changed shells, got more color controllers and a ton of fighters and other great games.
Still need fatal fury and last blade and the big ones Jojo and project justice and of course cannon spike