How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
marurun

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

Post by marurun »

mas wrote:Anyone want to make me some games. Don’t have the tools to do it and would pay for them

Well, developing homebrew titles is hard work. You would pay people to make new games?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

marurun wrote:For example, did you know that the GD-ROM drive is mechanically just a standard Yamaha CD drive? Only the controller and firmware are different.

That's interesting. Has anyone ever tried flashing the GD-ROM firmware onto a standard Yamaha CD drive?
marurun

Post by marurun »

samsonlonghair wrote:
marurun wrote:For example, did you know that the GD-ROM drive is mechanically just a standard Yamaha CD drive? Only the controller and firmware are different.

That's interesting. Has anyone ever tried flashing the GD-ROM firmware onto a standard Yamaha CD drive?

I am uncertain. I also don't know what custom chips might be on the controller and if the firmware is larger than the standard firmware on the otherwise equivalent Yamaha drive.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

marurun wrote:[quote="Segata"

For example, did you know that the GD-ROM drive is mechanically just a standard Yamaha CD drive? Only the controller and firmware are different.

Yeah, I knew it was a Yamaha drive. It's also possible to overload the DC controller ports. That I have seen happen. It seems rare but seen it happen.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Segata wrote:It's also possible to overload the DC controller ports. That I have seen happen. It seems rare but seen it happen.

What does this mean? How are you overloading the ports? What is overloading them?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

marurun wrote:
Segata wrote:It's also possible to overload the DC controller ports. That I have seen happen. It seems rare but seen it happen.

What does this mean? How are you overloading the ports? What is overloading them?

I have seen more than one Dreamcast wherein the 1st Player controller port seems to be unresponsive. Maybe that's what Segata is talking about. I'm not so sure if that's cause by an overload; there may be a different cause. I would need to research the issue more before I can say for certain.
marurun

Post by marurun »

samsonlonghair wrote:I have seen more than one Dreamcast wherein the 1st Player controller port seems to be unresponsive. Maybe that's what Segata is talking about. I'm not so sure if that's cause by an overload; there may be a different cause. I would need to research the issue more before I can say for certain.

That's what I'm trying to get at. I know there are things that can happen to the controller ports, but saying you can overload them doesn't help anyone know how to avoid it and doesn't actually describe what's happening AFAIK.

I know that my Dreamcast will read all of my controllers in port 1 except my green one. That one has to be plugged into ports 2 or 4, for some reason, or it doesn't work. No idea why.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Just avoid hot swap of controllers while the power is on. I soldered in a Diode to mine when port one failed.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I forget what it is but something right behind the controller ports shorts out if it's drawing too much power if all 4 ports used at once with stuff more than just the standard controller. It's not a guaranteed failure but prone to happen.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I really want to support, Kickstart, Senile Team's newest game Intrepid Izzy. It looks like they will not reach the goal (half way with only 3 days left) but they have working demos that they have sent out. So maybe this will get made even without the kickstarter funding.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.