The Master System Appreciation Thread

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: The Master Sytem Appreciation Thread

Post by D.D.D. »

Not thread crapping but, I played the MS at my friend's place and never saw what was so great about it.
The NES it felt like it didn't have enough buttons for some games (up+B= :( ) and it bugged me that the MS had two less buttons than the NES. It also seemed like it had hardly any games compared to the NES's library.
I did enjoy the 3D games on it though. Made the NES 3D games/blue-red glasses look like complete crap. :lol:
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
FiftyDollarCurse
128-bit

Post by FiftyDollarCurse »

I love the Master System. It was not the first video game console I ever played, but it's the one that I played the most once I was old enough to actually understand how video games work. My family never had an NES, and the only other person I knew what my cousin Tony who lived in Indiana. I lived in Canada at the time. So we would trade games once a year when we got together on Christmas. Good memories.

More games I like that haven't been mentioned yet: Alex Kidd in High-Tech World, Bomber Raid, Choplifter, Cyborg Hunter (kinda Metroidy and better than Zillion, in my opinion), Double Dragon, Safari Hunt (best title screen music), Fantasy Zone and Fantasy Zone II, Golfamania, Golvellius, Out-Run, Rampage, Rocky, Shinobi, SpellCaster, Time Soldiers, Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

Wonder Boy III is the first game I ever finished and remains my favorite.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

last year I sold a pretty big lot of SMS games to someone on here. Who was it?
Flake

Post by Flake »

Wow, for how little stage time the Master System gets around here, everyone seems to have some (mostly) fond memories of it.

I wonder if a 32X appreciation thread would fare so well...
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Flake wrote:

it wouldn't.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Flake wrote:Wow, for how little stage time the Master System gets around here, everyone seems to have some (mostly) fond memories of it.

People are only writing the positive stuff because the thread has "appreciation" in the title. As for me, my dog was killed when someone tossed their master system out a window without looking.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

I have mentioned this before, but none of the 5 Master Systems that I have owned have worked. Oddly wnough, I have quite a sizeable collection of games for the system. I do want to find a working one eventually; it is a fun system when it does work. the color pallate is bright, the graphics are sharp, and the games are quirky and enjoyable. I would take the SMS over the NES any day.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Limewater wrote:
Flake wrote:Wow, for how little stage time the Master System gets around here, everyone seems to have some (mostly) fond memories of it.

People are only writing the positive stuff because the thread has "appreciation" in the title. As for me, my dog was killed when someone tossed their master system out a window without looking.

Be thankful it wasnt a CD-i or Original XBOX. Those would've probably taken you out too. :wink:
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Limewater wrote:

wait who wha-

are you serious?
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

AppleQueso wrote:wait who wha-

are you serious?

No.

I have a generally favorable impression of the Master System. I have a small but not terrible collection of games, though I have no Alex Kidd or Sonic titles, and I only have the first two Wonder Boy games. Overall, the game I've played the most on it is the port of R-Type. I'm not a huge shmup fan, but I really like that game.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii