Where Do You See The Dreamcast Scene 1 Year From Now?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
racketboy
Site Admin

Where Do You See The Dreamcast Scene 1 Year From Now?

Post by racketboy »

I saw this interesting thread on DCEmu:
http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=79415

What are your thoughts?

I would love to see further development on an SNES and Genesis emulator along with more polish on Neo4All AES
lunar
24-bit

Post by lunar »

I mainly would like to see the Genesis and SNES emulators improve. The Genesis emulator is quite good at the moment, just the sound is a bit off.
rattboi
24-bit

Post by rattboi »

The problem with the current Genesis emu is that it can't be updated, since it's just a hack of Sega's Jam Pack, cutting the emulator part out, etc. Well, I suppose it could be disassembled and worked on, but that's not usually fun. For a better genesis emulator, it'd have to be started from scratch. Maybe Chui will get around to that, even though it's not on his list. I'm wondering what kind of progress he'll have w/ the PSX emu, since we know things like Bleemcast were possible, and the PSX emu for GP2X is going pretty good w/o a lot of the nicer hardware features that Dreamcast offers.
lunar
24-bit

Post by lunar »

I'm actually talking about the one done by BlackAura (Genesis Plus?), the last version released runs at a good speed
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

lunar wrote:I'm actually talking about the one done by BlackAura (Genesis Plus?), the last version released runs at a good speed

Correct, they are hoping to build a Genesis emulator that is superior to that in the Smash Pack.
People have been staying away from the Smash Pack emulator in recent years as it is technically illegal (copyrighted) and, as mentioned above, does not have the source availible
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

I think a RAM upgrade for the DC would make a lot of homebrew easier. I don't see it happening though...
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

I would absolutely LOVE a ram upgrade! And we might see some new maracas games in the future because the company that made the third party "cha cha" maracas (hong kong EMS) have already made a homebrew maracas game on the computer that uses them (if you buy their special dreamcast to pc usb adapter). It really sucks compared to Samba, but i can't see anyone making a better game than that!
Conn
24-bit

Post by Conn »

In a year, there will be many emulators either being worked on or complete, and some more homebrew.

I want to see someone overclock a Dreamcast, or hack it to play Saturn games. The latter is probably impossible, but it would be cool.
rattboi
24-bit

Post by rattboi »

Conn, there are overclocked Dreamcasts already. Look here:

http://devcast.dcemulation.com/mods/overclock/overclock.php

Also, there is no possible hardware hack, other than replacing the dc internal components w/ saturn parts, to make a DC play Saturn games. Emulation, on the other hand, is a possibility. I don't see this happening at fullspeed ever on DC though.

Someone has already ported Yabause to Dreamcast. you can check it out here:

http://ljsdcdev.sunsite.dk/
Saraph
64-bit

Post by Saraph »

I honestly think the DC Scene may be dwindling one year from now. After the news of Revolution playing Genesis and TG-16 games, I believe hacking that console and allowing the on board emulators to run rom's off a DVD are the next best step to emulating all of our older consoles. The Saturn is not a possibility, unless Sega developes an emulator specifically for the Revolution. In which case I doubt they would have a large ISO service, they would probably only allow actual game CD's to be used on the system.

The DC had an amazing run, the coming year will probably show users moving on to newer consoles or even the X-Box for future emulator programs. We may see a better Sega Genesis emulator and improved speeds on the current SNES emulator, but that's about it for the big news.