SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Top Ten Sega Genesis Games

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Snatcher is a very expensive game by a very famous producer, but...it’s just OK, IMO. It’s a little TOO inspired by Blade Runner, and the gameplay is kind of dull.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:57 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Snatcher is a very expensive game by a very famous producer, but...it’s just OK, IMO. It’s a little TOO inspired by Blade Runner, and the gameplay is kind of dull.

Pretty much this.

It just ain't that good.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:49 pm

I liked Snatcher all right. It has some cool atmosphere, and tension, even though at times it can be almost shot-for-shot Blade Runner. The last chapter is a little bit of a mess, but I came away from it really liking Randam as a character. I really hated the segments of the game where Gillian is flirting, though; It feels really sleazy to me, and I'm sure that's partly because one of the things I was most invested in, for the majority of the game, was his relationship with Jamie.

The problem with the Sega CD version is that it's the worst version (aside from maybe the PS1 version) of a game that really could never enjoy mass appeal outside of a segment of vintage Japanese PC gamers.

I'm actually a little surprised that Kojima never had Konami put the PC-88 version of Snatcher into something Metal Gear, or something. I would guess that they'd never want to bother to localize it. It does have a whole lot of text to translate.
Jake Armitage
16-bit

by Jake Armitage Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:50 pm

In no particular order:

Master of Monsters
Landstalker
Gemfire
Shining Force I
Shining Force II
Shove It!
Warsong
Phantasy Star II
Super Rampart
Shadowrun

Some of these would be on the list if we include CD games - not sure how many and which genesis games would go.

Lunar Silver Star
Dark Wizard
Shining Force CD
Vay
Lunar Eternal Blue
Third World War
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
Tempest
16-bit

by Tempest Sat May 11, 2019 10:41 am

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
2. Rocket Knight Adventures
3. Gunstar Heroes
4. Phantasy Star IV
5. Ghouls N' Ghosts
6. The Story of Thor
7. Road Rash II
8. Battletoads
9. Virtua Racing
10. Thunderforce IV
marurun

by marurun Sat May 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Really, Virtua Racing, eh? Very bold choice.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat May 11, 2019 3:14 pm

marurun wrote:Really, Virtua Racing, eh? Very bold choice.

It’s a really awesome racing game that revolutionized video gaming. I don’t know much about the Genesis port, though. I can attest, however, that the PS2 Sega Ages version is fantastic, and I’ve read that the recent Switch port is even better.
marurun

by marurun Sat May 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Oh, it is a great game, but the Genesis port is considered by some to be the weakest home port. That doesn’t mean it is bad, though.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sun May 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Virtua Racing was certainly not a great port but it was a "holy shit wow" game at the time. I can see it really leaving an impression on someone who had it when they were young. I remember being pretty jealous when one of my friends got a copy.
Ordinary Gamer
8-bit

by Ordinary Gamer Mon May 13, 2019 1:13 am

Sonic & Knuckles or Sonic 3 and Knuckles - None of the sequels gave me the magical feeling of the first one, but I think that's just because the original was so fresh and different when it came out and the sequels were just rehashing the same formula. Overall though, I think 3 and S&K are better games.

Streets of Rage 2, though I think the game's quality starts taking a down turn right around stage 6 with the cheap boxer boss and the horrible elevator section in the next stage. Streets of Rage 2 is a perfect beat 'em up for like five levels.

Earthworm Jim (Hey, he might be making a come back in the near future)

Earthworm Jim 2 - The Puppy mini game was hilarious (Don't worry animal lovers, I got good enough at that game that I could save all of them)

Castlevania Bloodlines - More interesting game than Super Castlevania IV

Shinobi 3 - The upcoming Picnic Panic DLC for The Messenger reminds me of the water jet ski level in this game

Contra Hard Corps (Japanese version) - I wasn't going to list this, but I saw someone else list the Japanese version so I'm gonna go with that one too. More fun than the NA release

TMNT Hyperstone Heist - You can't beat Turtles in Time on the SNES, but this is a nice sort of companion piece to it

The Adventures of Batman and Robin - With this, Contra and Gunstar Heroes, the Genesis had a nice selection of run n guns. It's not even a genre I'm that much into, so me putting this and Contra Hard Corps on my list is just a testament to how good they are. Gunstar is great too, but not a top 10 for me

Golden Axe - Though I think I prefer the arcade version

I think I'll even through in an honorable mention for Aladdin and Castle of Illusion. And I think Blades of Vengeance would be a top game for me if I ever got around to actually playing it. It looks great.
Return to Sega